Pricing – Broadly Speaking
We often get asked for costs of planning applications, building regulation applications and structural calculations. It can be difficult to provide these costs without having seen the property or building to be developed.
However, below are some rough costs on each of these three services:
As far as domestic planning types go, there’s three types – Permitted Development, Householders Application & Full Planning Application.
Permitted Development Application
Permitted development applies to smaller extensions but does still require some consulting with the council, which in recent years has become more important. The council will provide a Certificate of Compliance to give proof that the development was permitted. This is important if you ever wanted to sell or remortgage the property.
- Our fee for a typical permitted development application is £650+VAT.
- The additional fee to the council for this is around £150.
Householder Planning Application
Householder planning permission is for larger developments than permitted development allows for & can include loft conversions & 2 storey extensions.
- Our fee for a typical Householder application is £850+VAT.
- The additional fee to the council for this is around £270.
Full Planning Permission Application
Full planning permission is for everything else, including change of or additional use types.
- Our fee for a typical Full Planning application is £1000+VAT & upwards
- The additional fee to the council for this is around £480.
These costs all include:
- Measured survey of existing property.
- Provision of drawings required for planning application
- Provision of documentation required for planning application.
- Provision of Ordnance Survey maps required for planning application.
- Completion of council’s planning forms with required information.
- Liaising with council planning department to keep up to date with developments.
There is one important thing to bear in mind. Planning drawings are not construction drawings that show the technical construction details of how a house is built. They show what the building will look like, it’s fire escape routes & how it relates to the surrounding environment.
Planning Application Sample Drawings
Here is a sample of planning drawings that we have produced for other clients, so you can get a good understanding of what is required for planning applications.
Some builders are happy building from just the planning drawings but some do require more technical drawings, showing for example, how the foundations & walls should be built, how the floors & roof connect to the external walls, etc. These come under the next section, Building Regulations.
Building Regulation Applications
Building regulations applications are separate from planning applications but it’s difficult to give a quote at this point, as costs for building regs can vary dramatically depending on a number of factors. A very ball park figure for a large project such as a large two storey extension would be around £1375+VAT. The fee due to the Building Control Department also varies according to the type of project but a typical fee for the types of projects already mentioned could be up to around £800.
This cost includes:
- Provision of technical construction drawings required for building regs application.
- Provision of technical documentation required for building regs application.
- Provision of schedule of works required for building regs application.
- Completion of Building Control forms with required information.
- Liaising with Building Control to keep up to date with developments.
Building Regulation Application Sample Drawings
Here is a sample of building regulation drawings that we have produced for other clients, so you can get a good understanding of what is required for building regs applications.
Structural calculations would be submitted as part of the building regulations application. Depending on the complexity of the structure required, we can do simple calculations at a cost of £150+VAT per opening required.
However if something more complex was required, we can provide a specific quote.
If you have any further questions please call us on 01455 446521 or use the contact form.